Thursday, July 7, 2011

Gluten Free Swedish Pancakes

I've yet to meet a single being who would snub off a plate of pancakes. I mean, who doesn't love pancakes?  My inspiration for today's breakfast was from a story I loved watching when I was a little girl... Pippi Longstocking! She was such a smart and crafty little girl. She could do EVERYTHING. She could even whip up a batch of Swedish pancakes from scratch on a whim. I always thought they looked delicious and rustic,  but never tried them... until today! These pancakes are also gluten free.

They turned out delicious. My kids were asking for thirds.

Gluten Free Swedish Pancakes
  
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup white rice flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter
Beat the eggs together in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of milk and whisk until well blended. Add in the brown and white rice flour and salt. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the melted butter and the remaining 1/2 cup of  milk. Rest the batter for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Pour 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter onto a large, already heated buttered pan (low-medium heat) until the surface isn't shiny, flip and cook the other side (about 2-3 minutes per side).I served it with homemade stewed blueberries and creme fraiche. My children like it with jam and butter.

*make sure to stir the batter before pouring onto the hot pan (brown rice flour has a tendency to sink to the bottom of the bowl).

*If you want the classic taste of Swedish pancakes, you can use all purpose flour instead of rice flour.

1 comment: