Friday, July 22, 2011

Revisiting A Favorite

When I lived in L.A. I used to frequent a restaurant that had spaghetti and mushroom sauce on their menu. It was the one dish I would always end up ordering. Sometimes, I would order their spaghetti with meat sauce and their spaghetti with mushroom sauce separately cause I had so much fun alternating the two flavors together in my mouth... kind of sordid, but not really.



Sadly, that restaurant is a hundred miles away. This means I would have to divert my cravings elsewhere...  but sometimes diverting doesn't work. So I decided to try and replicate the dish. Well, maybe not replicate but create something similar. I didn't have button mushrooms, so I used shitake mushrooms instead. I poured the shitake mushroom sauce over baked chicken on capellini pasta (my husband and kids love this pasta), and cheese toast on sourdough bread. Everything was good, but the mushroom sauce still needs a bit of tweaking (not quite the consistency I would like yet). My quest to create the perfect mushroom sauce recipe continues...



No comments:

Post a Comment