Monday, July 11, 2011

Sweet Corn Brunch Tart

Every Monday morning (actually every morning), things get kind of hectic around here... and my kids don't cut me any slack. They are what I like to refer to as "morning people". As for me? Not so much. Tired eyed and weary, I already anticipated the predictable routine. My kids waking up earlier than us (the tired parents), running around and then demanding a delicious breakfast be served to them the minute they sit down at the table. This morning, however, I was prepared. I made a savory breakfast tart for them the night before so that when I'm suddenly jolted out of bed, I can just dash to the fridge and slice a piece of  tart ready to be served and eaten. Voila... instant gratification! I'm so glad they loved it. This was my first attempt at making a savory tart...all by chance.



I needed to clean out the fridge and noticed a carton of Nuefchatel cheese just waiting to go bad. I also caught a glimpse of some unused frozen sweet corn (I also had some Farmer Cheese that wanted to join the party) and before I knew it, a breakfast edible was born... Sweet Corn Brunch Tart!




 Sweet Corn Brunch Tart Recipe
  
Filling:

  • 1 cup Nuefchatel cheese (or cream cheese)
  • 1 and 1/2 cup sweet corn (frozen, thawed;)
  • 2 oz Farmer Cheese (optional)
  • 3 Tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
  • Dash of grated nutmeg (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 egg

Combine the Nuefchatel cheese, sweet corn, nutmeg, paprika, and salt in a food processor. Add the egg and continue blending until smooth. Place everything in a mixing bowl and stir in the farmer cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. Set aside or store in the refrigerator.

Oat Tart Shell:

  • 1 cup oat flour (or all- purpose flour)
  • 1/4 cup grounded rolled oats
  • 4 Tablespoons of chilled, unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a mixer, or food processor, mix all the dry ingredients until well combined. Slowly add the cold butter cubes a little at a time, mixing slowly until texture resembles bread crumbs. Add in the water  and mix just until the dough comes together. Place in plastic wrap and flatten. Chill in the refrigerator for at  least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375ºF (360ºF for convection oven) After dough has been chilled, roll it out on a lightly floured surface and place over a tart mold.Line with parchment paper and fill with pie weights (beans, rice, etc) and par bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, pull out of oven and allow to cool for 10 more minutes. Lower oven temperature to 285º F (270ºF convection).

Once tart shell has cooled down, place the sweet corn filling onto the center and spread all around. Bake tart for 1 hour, 20 minutes. Cool on a rack and serve room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment