Saturday, July 23, 2011

Nourishing Spiced Turmeric Milk

Turmeric, a common Asian spice, contains many beneficial components that help our bodies heal from within. My mother cooked with it, and it was also part of her beauty regimen. She told me it helps lighten brown spots. I tried mixing turmeric powder with milk and applied it as a facial once and let me tell you... my face was yellow for a day or two! But I didn't let that deter my appreciation for this warm, exotic spice. When mixed with hot milk, it can help relieve a sore throat. Ideally, it should be drunk while very warm.


My recipe is quite easy. I heat 2 cups of milk (or unsweetened soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk), 1/4 teaspoon dried lavender buds, 3 pieces of sliced fresh ginger and 1/4 teaspoon organic turmeric powder. Once the milk starts to scald, I remove from the heat and cover the pot allowing the spices to steep for at least 20 minutes. Then I strain and mix in 2 teaspoons of honey and pour into individual tea cups.

The lavender buds gives the turmeric milk a wonderful floral aspect and has a calming effect.  My daughters love drinking this milk, especially my youngest (but only when it's cooled down a bit).







No comments:

Post a Comment